5 Reasons Pai Gow is Secretly the Greatest Game at the Casino
If you ask a lot of people their favorite casino game, you will get a whole bunch of answers. Some like slots, others may have a preference for blackjack, craps, or another game. However, there is a small but hardcore group of devotees to one certain game: Pai Gow. We talked to some of these Pai Gow fanatics to find out why they love this game so much.
First, let’s go over the general rules of the game. The dealer gives you seven cards and you try and make your best two-card hand and a five-card hand using general poker rules and rankings. The dealer does the same. If you beat both dealer’s hands you win, if you beat one your push, and if you lose both hands you lose your bet. Seem simple enough? On to the list:
- 1) The dealer will teach you how to play: in Pai Gow, you are playing against the house. However, the dealer will help you set your hands based on the optimal way to play. Noted one fan, “I was waiting for a friend and got bored so I decided to play [Pai Gow]. The dealer showed me the rules and even played my hands for me until I figured it out. Later I played my own hand but still asked the dealer if I was playing right. Now that I know the rules it’s the only game I ever play.”
- 2) Low key and relaxed pace: noted one player, “Blackjack is too fast paced, it makes me nervous. It seems like the guy on the end is always taking the dealers bust card. In Pai Gow, everyone is playing their own game. It doesn’t require too much thinking and you can talk to the players at the table and relax.” Given that there tends to be a lot of pushes, players don’t tend to get overly ambitious or anxious with their bets. When you sit down to play Pai Gow, you are expecting to be parked for a while. This often leads to the the other players being friendly and conversating with both the dealer and each other.
- 3) The table has a great energy: “the camaraderie of the Pai Gow table is great!” noted one player. Players tend to win together and lose together at Pai Gow. During a good run, there often is another player experiencing the same fortune as you to celebrate with – not always the case with other table games.
- 4) You can play for a while without losing too much: if you are a novice or not really a big gambler, Pai Gow might be the game for you. “When I go to the casino with my friends, I like to have a few drinks and relax. I’m on my feet at work and having to make lots of decisions. Pai Gow is just fun. I could play it every day.” Since it is a push game, there are lots of ties. That limits how much you can win (unless you play bonuses!), but also how much you can lose.
- 5) The bonuses can mean big wins: wait didn’t we just say Pai Gow was a push game? Well for just a $1 more you can play the bonus jackpot and Emperor’s Challenge that can put a few extra clams (NOTE: not actual clams, that’s gross) in your pocket. There are also $5 bonuses that can win you even more! Our insiders recommend giving the bonuses a whirl. But if you want to know how they work, you gotta come in and play!
Are you ready to play Pai Gow? We didn’t even mention the best part! Pai Gow at Suquamish Clearwater Casino Resort is commission free! Other places charge a commission – we don’t! So you ready to play a few hands? We are ready for you! Remember – life is a game, live it up on the waterfront!