Interesting Facts You Might Not Know About Gambling and the Casino
We thought it might be fun to share some fun and interesting facts about gambling and the Suquamish Clearwater Casino Resort. You ready for them? Of course you are!
- 1) Blackjack is over 400 years old: The earliest written mention of Blackjack is in a Miguel de Cervantes short story called Rinconete y Cortadillo written in 1613. The Don Quixote author describes young boys making a living playing Veintiuna (Spanish for 21). Bonus fact: the boys would have been playing with a Spanish deck (with the 10s removed) so they were playing Spanish 21. Guess what? You can play both regular and Spanish versions at Suquamish Clearwater Casino Resort! Just don’t try to fight any windmills while playing!
- 2) The Suquamish Clearwater Casino started as a bingo hall over 26 years ago: The casino you know and love today progressed from a bingo hall, to a casino in a tent structure (1995) to a free standing casino (2003) to a casino resort (2006). Over the years. The casino wasn’t built over night – it took decades of hard work and community support to get to the building you see today! In fact, we just finished a remodel. Like a real house wife from television, we got a facelift and we think it looks great!
- 3) Slot machines use fruit on their reels for a weird reason: slot machines utilized poker card symbols originally but early 20th Century crackdowns on “vices” (gambling and drinking) led to strict anti-slot machine laws. In order to get around these rules, slot machine companies began making machines that would dispense gum corresponding to the flavor of the fruit (cherry, melon, orange, apple, etc) depicted on the roll. By dispensing gum, the manufacturers got around the rules against gambling by having a small “guaranteed win” each spin. The “bar” symbol was usually the logo of the slot machine company. That stuck around too!
- 4) We’ve Got Bottomless Taco Tuesday: we’ve done the studies and the math – Taco Tuesday makes Tuesdays 900% better. It’s just science, my hungry friends. Well, every Tuesday from 5-9PM Beach Rock will have “all you can handle” tacos with Pancho Villa tequila for only $19. With your choice of Carne Asada, Carnitas, or Pollo Adobaba, you will never get tired of the world’s most perfect food delivery system!
- 5) Gambling may have decided Norway’s borders: this one should interest our Poulsbohemian friends! According to the Heimskringla (King’s Saga) written in 1240, the King of Norway (Olaf Harldson) won the territory of Hising from the King of Sweden (who was also named Olaf –) in a dice game. Although the King of Sweden rolled two sixes, the legend states that the King of Norway rolled a six and that his second die split in half, with three and four upright on both halves. Talk about some luck! You can play Craps at the Suquamish Clearwater Casino Resort, but we do not accept territories as wagers. Sorry kings named Olaf. However, props to Olaf for being able to Let it Go (the cold never bothered him anyway)!
- 6) There are tons of free promotions that can get you free prizes and cheap food specials: if you haven’t yet, you should bookmark our promotions page. That is where we update all of our specials and promotions. From all you can eat sushi, to three course fine dining, to life changing prizes, you gotta check us out there. If you are a smart phone user you should download the Clearwater App. That way you can always follow our promos as well as get push notifications about any specials! Awesome!
Did you learn something new? Any fact you would like to share with us? Let us know on Facebook! Remember: life is a game… live it up on the waterfront!